Words of Wisdom from Demetri Martin...

"The easier it is to draw the state the harder it is to live in. If you live in a regular polygon get the H--- out of there (Sorry Wyoming). You need to move to a squiggly area, culture is attracted to squiggles."

After much though, list making, debating, sleepless nights, a few tears, tons of anxiety, lots of advice, and a few weeks of uncontrollable emotions... I have made a decision.... I'm leaving this wonderful state of Utah, which after 16 years of living here has become a place I love. I moved from California and always said I would never like Utah and would move back as soon as possible. Well the 4 different season, the wonderful people, the memories, friends, family, University of Utah, U of U Athletics staff, amazing scenery..... I could go on and on. These are just a few things I am going to miss. I just love this state!

However I am not going to complain about living 5 minutes from the beach or in a place where I never have to shiver in my car while waiting for it to warm up, or peer right above the dashboard and try to drive safely cause I was too lazy to scrape my windshield, or have my calling as a YSA stake rep (where I have been for 3 years and even though I have a partner I still do ALL of the work)

Anyways I am moving to (as Ron Burgundy would say) Saint D-ag-o to grow up, take a job, and become a big kid. Sometimes I am so excited, other times I wonder what in the h--- I am doing. Either way I will give it a chance, make the best of it, and thanks to my wonderful parents...if I find it unbearable, I will be welcomed back home with open arms. Giving it an honest try will mean they won't be disappointed in me if I decided its not the right place for me. I learned last summer the more nervous/excited/anxious you are about something, the more rewarding it is. Walking through the airport last year I had tears rolling down my cheeks asking myself if I would be able to make it through the next six weeks, if you've heard about my experience you know I LOVED every minute of it and DID NOT want to come home.

While writing this I am still on the fence, I don't know, I love new adventures and now could not be a better time (young, single, and right out of college, perfect!), but there is still the fear of change and hating every minute of my 40 hour work week. (who likes that anyways?)

I was just wondering why college doesn't prepare you for the real world. I don't feel like I learned how to be an adult, just a student (one with more freedom than a high school student).

PLEASE LEAVE ANY ADVICE IN THE COMMENT SECTION UNLESS YOU KNOW ME, THEN JUST DROP ME A LINE, SHOOT ME AN EMAIL,

TEXT ME, SEND ME A LETTER, PUT UP SOME SMOKE SIGNALS, whatever works for you.

TO MAKE THIS EASIER ON ME,

MAKE SURE YOU COME AND VISIT!!

Come on how could you resist the opportunity to take picture as lovely as this?

I'll keep you updated on the whole straight vs. squiggles debate. Who knows maybe Demetri is onto something?

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am really excited for you! You will have a great experience although we will miss you and family gatherings won't be quite the same. Good luck and let me know if you need anything! Take care of my mom :)

Sister Beta said...

I am so proud of you Aub!! You are gonna rock that place! Make sure you save enough money and vacation time to come down to TEXAS for my wedding!!!

Yay independence!! Yay freedom!! Yay apartments!! Yay dating California boys!! Yay JOB!!! Yay beach!!!

See? It's all pretty awesome!

Christie said...

Hey I am so glad you found my blog! Now we can keep in touch. Wow Cali that is so exciting! I think you will love it...I mean seriously what is not to love? Warm weather, cute boys and well a job is always nice too. I do agree with you though that college does NOT prepare you for the real world! I am just glad I am having a baby so I can postpone the whole job thing for at least a few months. Well just know that I will be jealous here in freezing cold Utah thinking about how warm and beautiful the weather is in San Diego!