Why I travel sometimes without JH
After visiting my friend and her cute new addition and talking to another friends about her cute new addition, I decided its time to tell you why my job matters. I work in research in a very important field. Genetics. Many of you probably remember your child getting a VERY IMPORTANT heel stick when they were first born. This is called NEWBORN SCREENING (no it is not called the PKU test). In Utah it is required by law for your child to get this test. Trust me it is a good thing. This simple heel poke tests for a wide range of genetic conditions that, if not caught early, can result in brain damage, mental retardation, and many other problems.
I work in the research section of the metabolic clinic. We work with Pharmceutical companies to test different drugs (like Kuvan for PKU) to make life easier for those affect by these disorders. Click on the word to learn more about each disorder (this is just a small selection but they are the main ones I work with).
Please remember to make sure your child has a heel stick before leaving the hospital and another one around their 2 week check up. You DO NOT want them to be missed.
So why do I travel sometimes without JH?... to further research.

No comments: